A castle on the Isles of Lewis is to be restored to its former glory and turned into a museum.
Lews Castle on the edge of Stornoway has been on the buildings at risk register since 2000 and its development has been stalled because of a lack of funding.
Now the council who own the building, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, has submitted planning permission and listed building consent for external repairs to the castle.
They are hoping to turn it into a museum and archive with the possibility of using it for hospitality.
If it gets approval, work will start to make the building water tight and will allow for a drying out period before the interior is renovated. The roof, external walls and windows will be repaired and asbestos will be removed from the building.
The final design will soon go on display for public consultation and the planning permission for the inside restoration will be submitted in the summer.
Joe Macphee, Head of Economic Development at the council said: “Design work on the development is well advanced and we will shortly be in a position to share these proposals with the local community and wider stakeholders.
“The project team is working very hard to secure the total funding package needed for this exciting project.
“Subject to approvals by the Comhairle and Historic Scotland the current consent applications have been submitted to allow work on securing the shell to proceed in advance of the main development.”
The castle was built in 1857 as a country house for Sir James Matheson who had bought the whole island. In 1923 it was gifted to the people of Stornoway.
Since then it has served as a naval base during the Second World War, a college and council offices. It has been uninhabited since the late 90s.