St. Laurence O’Toole Pipe Band was crowned World Pipe Band Champions 2010, topping off their 100th year anniversary in style.
The band was hotly tipped to take the title after winning the European Championships earlier this year and true to form, they scooped the top spot shattering the dreams of 2009 winners, Simon Fraser University, who has hoped to be crowned champions for the third year in a row.
Emotions were running high as the Dublin based bands name was read out and after hat throwing and screams, one emotional piper told stv.tv: “It means everything to the band as it took so long to get here.
“To win, it is just amazing. It feels amazing. “I don’t think we’ll be going home tomorrow, we’ll be partying all week.”
In utter disbelief he added: “It still hasn’t kicked in yet!”
Pipe Major Terry Tully was practically speechless but after being carried on the shoulders of his proud band members, he ordered them into line to pipe out the procession and close the Worlds as Champions.
- Ravara crowned Grade 2 Champions
- Roddy Macleod of Piping Live! thought St. Laurence might win the Worlds
- A Treacherous end to Worlds
- St. Laurence O' Toole and their 2008 performance at the Cowal Championships
- A roundup of all the action from the 2010 World Pipe Band Championships